In 1952 Dr Imre Fray, a judge from Sombor, although more famous as an ardent collector, bestowed the Museum with his archeological and numismatic collection consisting of thousands of coins and paper bills, medals and plaques as well as his professional book collection of all famous and significant editions of that time necessary for the processing of the numismatic materials.
This legacy is the foundation of the current Museum numismatic collection. The bulk of the collection is the ancient Roman money (republic and imperial), whereas the rest are Greek, Celtic and Byzantine coins. In addition to medieval Hungarian and Serbian coins, there are other medieval and the more recent European and non–European currencies, counters and paper money. A part of the numismatic collection is medals and plaques, made by many a European medallion maker.